Nevertheless I am completely well and back to normal. The students are so sweet. When I came back to school on Friday they huddled around me to see how I was feeling and whether they could get me anything. Can you imagine that happening in the States? I can't. Right now I am trying to prepare tomorrow's lesson plan for choir. They're starting to get the hang of singing multiple melodies at once and I think they'll be really good by the end of the semester. Hopefully we can start singing some exciting music soon. I don't think they ever thought music would be so difficult - or ever considered it to be a disciplined craft. Some students are telling me that they've never had so much fun learning and that they've never felt so comfortable with a teacher, and some students are telling me that I have killed their musical spirit and that they hate music now because of me - because I keep going on and on about good technique instead of letting them continue with their bad habits. So some people hate me and some love me - I guess that's a good sign.
My favorite part of being here is riding on the rickshas. I always feel like I'm in a video game and the goal is to get from point A to point B but there are all these hurdles blocking your path. What's funny is that the ricksha drivers look so gleeful when they see us scared to death holding each other for dear life in the back. Whenever we scream I can see the guy look back at us with a giant smile from ear to ear. I think they get a kick out of it.
Since being here my ricksha adventures have included:
One that almost turned upside down when making a sharp turn
One that just died in the middle of the road where the driver had to push us to the gas station.
One driver decided he needed a break and stopped the ricksha so he could drink water for 10 minutes with his buddies.
One that almost got hit by a bus
One that drove directly headfirst into a cop on a motorbike. The cop didn't seem to care; they exchanged some words and then both went merrily on their way.
I have also learned that I am a champion haggler. We went to this street that has loads and loads of fabric stalls up and down and I bought some really amazing fabric for dirt cheap. They see us and they immediately say like 80 or 100 rupees per meter and I have actually brought them down to like 30. How crazy is that? It's almost exhausting in a way. I'm kind of getting sick of it because it's just so silly. Both people know that both people are acting.
He says "great price madam, 80 rupees meter"
To which I roll my eyes dramatically and scoff "Yeah right, that's ridiculous" and walk away.
To which he says "okay okay okay come, I'll give you, what price you want?"
"You give me two and a half meters for 100 and I'll take it."
"Vaaaat Madam? This is too less..."
"Okay bye then, thank you."
"Okay Okay Okay come.. I give you for 110."
"No, 100."
"10 rupees madam, I give for 110."
"No. 100."
"110."
"100."
"110."
"100."
And with a reluctant side nod I get it for 100.
It's exhausting. Sometimes you just want to see something and buy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment