I had a really long day yesterday: I started teaching at 10 am and ended at 5 in the evening which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm learning that teaching really is exhausting; I never realized how much of yourself you have to give for someone to learn from you. By the end of the day, I just wanted to go home and sleep. One of my students and I had discussed looking into taking a yoga class together because we can see the sign from the conservatory and it's just a 2 minute walk from school. So after teaching we went together to check out the yoga studio and the lady was really wonderful. We're taking a three month course for 1400 rupees; one hour, three times a week for three months, and it includes meditation, poses, and nutritional counseling. She does all of her yoga classes on the rooftop terrace which will be pretty intense, but hopefully by evening it won't be so hot outside.I had put my phone on silent while I was in the yoga class and totally forgot about it. I went to dinner with one of the faculty members, came home, took a shower, got into bed and reached for my phone to set my alarm for the next day. When I picked up my phone I saw that there were like 15 missed calls and 8 text messages all from the other faculty trying to get a hold of me. I finally called Selva back and... drum roll please....
He asked if I was available to do a recording session with Rahman! So of course I said yes, jumped out of bed, got ready and ran over to the studio. I walked in and found that Eilidh and Michael had also been called to record (cello and percussion) and we sat and waited for Rahman to come. He shows up and says Eilidh will go first so I just sit in the studio and watch while her tracks are being edited. A man then walks in and starts discussing the movie with Rahman and I introduce myself thinking he's a Tamil director (I swear I'm not a Hindi film snob; I just don't know anything about Tamil directors or actors so they're somewhat irrelevant in my head). He asked if I spoke Hindi and I said no but then started throwing out random Hindi words that I know. The guy laughed and left. Selva immediately was like "do you know who that was? You just met Shubash Ghai." Um. EEEEEEEEEEE!!! I just met a huge director and the song that I'm singing on is in his new film Yuvraaj which is coming out in a couple months. So from what I understand I'm going to be doing background operatic singing in one of the songs because apparently this movie is about an Australian orchestra or something so it includes a choir, western classical music and opera. Should be really interesting and I'm really ecstatic to start recording. There wasn't time to do it last night so I'm scheduled to record Thursday afternoon. The cd should be available in a few weeks! I can't wait to see my name on the back cover. Eee!I'll let you know how it goes.
4 comments:
WHAAAAAAAT!! kavi that is AMAZING news.... congrats!! congrats doesn't seem like a big enough word. but it's all i have for now :)
also, i did yoga on the top floor of a yoga studio while in delhi. at some point i acknowledged that it was fully Bikram (hot) yoga and then i started loving it! but almost passed out more than once, yowzers. take a lot of water!
Damn girl!!! All I gotta say is I need to see the film with your backing vocals when it comes out, I'll head over to India Sweets and Spices and pick up the pirated blank VHS copy. And GF you best be getting paid! $$$
that's amaaazing kavi!! congrats!!!! :)
Glad you are doing well over there, and really enjoying every minute of it!!
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SOOO EXCITED. I HOPE YOU CAN FEEL HOW EXCITED I AM!
Also, I'm getting a crash course in Bollywood by reading your blog :)
Post a Comment